ALL production registrations MUST be submitted AT LEAST one (1) month prior to the Opening performance in Montreal.i
To be eligible for consideration, a production must meet the following criteria:
- Be produced by a PACT or Independent theatre company, where:
- a PACT Company is a member of the Professional Association of Canadian Theatres (PACT), whose registered production engages artists under CAEA’s Canadian Theatre Agreement;
- an Independent Company is primarily comprised of theatre professionals who intend to or already make theatre their career. Additionally, two thirds (2/3rds) of the performing, creative, and production personnel must fulfill the following conditions:
- be engaged under an Equity form of contract OR receive guaranteed payment for both rehearsal and performance;
- be full members of a relevant professional theatre artists’ association (e.g. CAEA, UDA, ACTRA, ADC, APASQ, IATSE) OR, have completed a recognized professional theatre training program;
- Be produced by (or co-producedii with) a Montreal-based company; iii
- Be performed in English, or primarily in English;
- Be performed within the award season (Sept 1 – August 31);
- Be performed for at least nine (9) public performances over two (2) consecutive weekends in Montreal.
i “Montreal” includes Greater Montreal and the Eastern Townships.
ii In the case of co-productions, the first performance need not be in Montreal.
iii Companies must be registered and operate in the greater Montreal area, e.g. present an NEQ (Québec enterprise number) or the Montreal home address of the principal artistic company member.
Writing Awards: New Text (Original or Adaptation) and New Translation
Professional productions registering for Writing Awards must ALSO:
- be a world premiere;
- a) be written, adapted or translated by a Montreal writer(s) or translator(s);
b) be commissioned by a Montreal-based company;
Productions NOT Eligible:
- Workshops, excerpts, or showcases
- Training productions
- Improvised plays
- Productions presented as part of a Montreal company season, where the presenting company’s creative or producing involvement is negligible
- Productions remounted or revived within five (5) years of the originally registered production
- Touring productions iv
iv “Touring” denotes productions originating outside of Montreal, where Montreal is a stop on a multi-city tour, and where the development or creative process of the production has negligible ties to the Montreal community.
Exceptions may be made for school touring productions, provided there are more than 9 performances over two weeks that are accessible to the jury. The METAC determines eligibility for school touring productions on a case-by-case basis.
A Community Theatre production is one produced by an organization that is not and does not intend to become professional.
To be eligible for consideration, Community Theatre productions must have a minimum of six (6) performances over two (2) weekends.
A specially assembled Community Jury selects one (1) outstanding production to honour each year.
Rulings on Eligibility
Requests for clarification of uncertain eligibility must be submitted to the METAC at least six (6) weeks prior to the Opening performance. The METAC has final ruling on eligibility.
Click here to register your production.
For answers to questions about Rules and Regulations, please consult our FAQs page.
Rules and Regulations are subject to change.
UPDATED: March 24, 2016