EQUITY, DIVERSITY, AND INCLUSION (EDI) AWARD
Presented in partnership with the Conseil des Arts de Montréal
Submission deadline: September 15, 2017
This honorary award was established in 2015 to recognize and encourage practices of access and inclusion, and to celebrate those who embrace the range of cultures, identities and abilities that make up and enrich our city.
Last year’s award went to Black Theatre Workshop’s Artist Mentorship Program for its commitment to nurturing and supporting a diverse demographic of emerging Montreal theatre artists. The inaugural award went to Geordie Productions for their engagement with culturally diverse actors, implementing live sign language translations of their shows, and programming a season dedicated to the diverse world we live in.
Actions or activities that might inspire consideration include (but are not limited to):
- reaching beyond company mandate to program a production/season that celebrates diversity through its content and/or choice of artists (e.g. casting artists of colour in roles where ethnicity is not germane or specified);
- introducing measures to make an art space more accessible;
- revising policy to mandate diverse representation on a Board, or adopting a Board-approved Diversity Policy or Pledge for Diversification;
- instituting a multi-year internship for an artist or administrator of colour, or a residency for an LGBTQ playwright;
- adopting an outreach program that seeks to attract economically disadvantaged or cultural community audiences;
- providing sign language interpretation or audio description for accessible performances;
How to Submit a Nomination
Practitioners immersed in Montreal’s theatre community are invited to submit a candidate (individual or company) who has demonstrated an outstanding contribution that reflects the full diversity of Montreal and its artists on stage or off. Candidates in all areas of theatre production are eligible for nomination. Self-nominations are welcome!
To nominate a company or an individual for the Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Award, please write a letter (maximum 2 pages) outlining the following:
- Name of the nominee (individual or company).
- Your professional relationship to the nominee (if any).
- Nature of the nominee’s accomplishment (equity, diversity, and/or inclusion).
- How has the nominee shown an outstanding commitment this past season (2015-2016) to reflecting the full diversity of Montreal and its artists?
- If nominating a company: how did the nominee go beyond their usual mandate to foster these values?
- What types of diversity were encouraged by these initiatives? (Age, ability, ethno-cultural, gender & sexuality, socio-economic, etc.)
- Outreach: how were these actions and activities shared, communicated or advertised within the community?
- Impact: examples of companies, productions or individuals who have benefitted from the nominee’s dedication to this cause.
Send your nomination to email@example.com by September 15, 2017. You will receive an email to acknowledge that your nomination has been received. A special EDI Jury will be formed to evaluate all nominations, and choose the honouree. The honorary recipient of the EDI Award will be announced at the 4th Annual METAs Ceremony (October 23, at the Rialto).